Fighting Irish Baseball Players, Parents, Coaches and Supporters,
I pray that this finds you all healthy and using this time period to take care of yourself, your family & others while working on self-improvement.
25 th Annual Reverse Raffle
Tonight was to be our 25 th Annual CCHS Baseball Reverse Raffle! I announced at our Town Hall Meeting on Sunday March 15 th that it was being postponed. This was done because assuming we were back in school, and on the diamond, we had no idea what might be re-scheduled for that date (e.g. Prom, games, …). Little did we know that this
period would last so long.
Our new plan is to have our 25 th Annual Raffle next spring. In its place this year we will focus on building up our “On Deck Circle” and hanging a plaque at Mercy Health Field next spring with all of our members listed. There will be more information on this coming in the next month.
Our players were putting in the work preparing for the 2020 Season. We began our Dawn Patrol (6:30 AM) workouts right after the Christmas Break, and never looked back. You would have been very proud of the players wearing our CCHS Baseball uniform this spring.
Since we last met at Mercy Health Field as a team (Sunday, March 15 th ) we have remained connected in a number of ways including Zoom team meetings, daily emails with some videos and songs to reflect on, Group Me chat, text messages… It sure has not been the same, however we are doing the very best we can to stay connected and positive as a team.
It has been heartbreaking for all of our players, but most especially for our 12 Senior players. Not only did they lose their season, their prom, graduation and all the things that go along with that, but they also lost their team trip to Florida. They have left their mark on a program and will never be forgotten!
Once we get the “all clear” we plan to do the following:
- Properly honor our 12 Senior players with our traditional events at Mercy Health
- Workout with all of returning players;
- Play some summer games (if allowed);
- Have FUN!
National Honor Society & Academic Achievements
The following Sophomore players were inducted into The National Honor Society:
- Jack Bremer
- Kavan Case
- Trip Floyd
- Trey Gray
- Nick Keck
- Jace Sanchez
The above group of Sophomore baseball players will join the following group of our players previously inducted into NHS:
- Brett Bishop (Senior)
- Lance Haupricht (Senior)
- Brent Matus (Senior)
- Tommy Merchant (Senior)
- Sam Schommer (Senior)
- Owen Kitz (Junior)
Staying on the academic theme I wanted to throw out some stats (because in baseball we are all about stats). We have tracked 44 baseball players in our program (I am missing grades for 3 freshman players) and have come up with the following:
During the 3rd Quarter we had 12 players who earned all A's, including 9 freshman!
The GPA by class was as follows:
3.84 – Senior
3.13 – Junior
3.81 – Sophomore
4.13 – Freshman
Our program GPA for the 3rd Quarter was 3.82!!!
CONGRATULATIONS to Seniors Brendan Conkle and Tony Rodriguez. Brendan has committed to playing baseball at Saginaw Valley, while Tony will continue playing at Lourdes
All 12 of our Senior players are planning to attend college in the fall.
Alumni on the Diamond
- Jase Bowen (’19) was in spring training with the Pirates to begin his second professional season;
- Anthony Lutz (’19) was playing at Ohio Northern University;
- Andrew Parker (’19) was working out with our team to prepare to join the Baldwin Wallace team once their spring break ended;
- Justin Schiets (’19) was preparing for spring practice with the Bowling Green University football team;
- Zack Wells (’19) was playing for the club baseball team at University of Toledo;
- Parker Swartz (’18) was in the starting rotation as a Sophomore pitcher at Siena Heights;
- Tim McCarthy (’99) was set to begin his first season as the head coach at Evergreen after a successful run as the head coach at Swanton;
- Joe Kruzel (’84) was set to begin his second season as the manager of the Springfield Cardinals (St. Louis AA team);
- Of course our own coaches wearing the CCHS uniform: Mike Kuebler (’87). Jamie Floyd (‘93), Brett Kuebler (’08), as well as Jason Trame (’91) who serves as a summer
The Tradition Continues
This year we have 7 players in our program whose Dad played for Coach Mielcarek (Crew Clement, Wilson Stopera, Owen Kitz, Trip Floyd, Jase Sanchez, Bryce Wagner &
Gus Mehling) bringing the total of alumni players whose sons also played for Coach Mielcarek to 11:
- Andy Grombacher (’87) & Jack (’18)
- Jim Johnston (’87) & Jim (’12)
- Chris Clement (’89) & Crew (’20)*
- Ned Mehling (’89) & Gus (’23) *
- Steve Wagner (’90), Tyler (’12) & Bryce (’23) *
- Joe Przeniczny (’90) & Jake (’16)
- Joel Sanchez (’90) & Jase (’22)*
- Jason Trame (’91) & Tyler (’10)
- Scooter Stopera (’91) & Wilson (’21)*
- Brian Kitz (’91) & Owen (’21)*
- Jamie Floyd (’93) & Trip (’22)*
In addition to the above list Cleves Delp (’82) son Winston (’23), and Andy Katafias (’90) son Cael (’23) both were a part of this year’s program. Both Cleves and Andy served as coaches with Coach Mielcarek.
Hall Of Fame
The CCHS Hall of Fame Banquet, which was scheduled for April 27 th , was postponed. This year Joe Kruzel (’84), Kyle Burkhardt (’10) and the 1989 Regional Finalist Team were all slated for induction. CONGRATS to all of them, and we will celebrate with them accordingly throughout the year leading up to the banquet.
Helping Our Community
When going to Florida for our varsity trip, the parents would collect snacks and drinks to put on the bus for our players to consume throughout the week. In April, some of our Senior parents decided that since we were not able to make the trip we could still have the collection and donate it to First Responders at St. Vincent Hospital. We collected on Thursday, April 16 th and Saturday, April 18 th at Mercy Health Field. It was a huge success we were able to make deliveries on both Saturday, April 18 th and Saturday, April 25 th . The staff was very appreciative of this act of kindness. Many Thanks to everyone who contributed to this great effort!
Thank you to each of you for all that you do for Central Catholic Fighting Irish Baseball. We are very blessed to have this great community.
Wash your hands, Cleanse your soul!
Coach Jeff Mielcarek